The province of Quispicanchi is one of the most diverse and touristic of the Cusco region. It covers an area of 7,564 square kilometers where 82,173 inhabitants live.
It is made up of twelve districts: Andahuaylillas, Camanti, Ccarhuayo, Ccatca, Cusipata, Huaro, Lucre, Marcapata, Ocongate, Oropesa, Quisquijana and Urcos, the provincial capital.
This Andean region has a very important Inca and colonial past. There, for example, the Incas built the Tipon palace. Before them, an immense citadel of the Wari civilization was built in Piquillacta.
In colonial times, important religious temples were built, such as the churches of Huaro and Andahuaylillas. The latter is called the ‘Sistine Chapel of America’, due to its variegated decoration in murals and canvases.
Today, the main tourist attractions of Quispicanchi are: the archaeological site of Tipon, the archaeological site of Piquillacta and the church of Andahuaylillas.
The climate in Quispicanchi varies according to region and altitude. For example, in Urcos, the capital of the province, the temperature varies from a maximum of 24ºC. and a minimum of 3ºC. In the town of Quincemil (in the jungle region of Cusco), the maximum temperature can reach 32ºC. and the minimum temperature can reach 15ºC.
Whether in the highlands or jungle region of the province, rains are more intense from November to April. From May to October they occur less frequently.
These are the main tourist attractions in the province of Quispicanchi:
Tipón – This Inca archaeological site was a palace that stood out for its numerous water fountains. Research suggests that this purifying liquid was worshipped there. There are also fine quality enclosures, terraces, roads, temples and more. It is located in the town of the same name, in the district of Oropesa, 25 kilometers by road from the city of Cusco.
Piquillacta – This Wari archaeological site was a city of up to 50 hectares where approximately 10 thousand people lived between 600 AD and 1,000 AD. It stands out for its adobe enclosures that reached up to three levels. Also for its long streets, squares, temples and other mud structures. It is located 35 kilometers by road from the city of Cusco.
Andahuaylillas – This colonial church was built in the town of the same name approximately between 1570 AD and 1606 AD. The temple is dedicated to San Pedro Apostle. It stands out for its numerous and beautiful murals, most of them made by the Cusquenian artist Luis de Riano (in the XVII century). This decoration earned it the nickname of Sistine Chapel of America. The church is 39 kilometers by road from the city of Cusco.